This can be a moist and decadent straightforward butterscotch cake recipe that your loved ones will clamor over. Whereas it’s straightforward as might be, there aren’t any shortcuts right here!
Impressed by classic recipes and coated in butterscotch frosting, it’s baked in a half sheet pan or 9×13 and produced from scratch within the easiest way potential.
This cake focuses on the true substances of home made butterscotch: butter and many darkish brown sugar.
Nicely, I’ve been on a little bit of a cake kick these days. I can’t get sufficient of them, and my hips don’t lie! Creating recipes is among the greatest elements of my job and that is very true on the subject of fall baking.
Whereas my household is thrilled once I put my stretchy baking pants on, I do need to assume when it comes to moderation. Nevertheless, on the subject of this straightforward butterscotch cake recipe, it’s arduous to cease at only one slice!
Earlier than there was a pattern in direction of salted caramel sauce, butterscotch was the final word dessert indulgence. Don’t get me flawed – I like salted caramel (passionately, I would add).
The simplicity and buttery richness of a butterscotch dessert is unforgettable! Don’t skip this moist, straightforward brown sugar butterscotch cake recipe.
Lots of the old style butterscotch cake recipes name for butterscotch pudding. Personally, I discover that packaged pudding taste to be somewhat inauthentic and wished a cake with a richer, deeper taste.
What’s the distinction between caramel, toffee and butterscotch? There are refined however vital variations that may cater to a wide range of tastes.
Whereas every of those three candy candies or sauces is created with a scrumptious concoction of sugar and butter, caramel typically consists of white granulated sugar, cream and vanilla flavorings for a creamy, delicate steadiness.
Butterscotch is somewhat deeper in taste as a result of it’s created with brown sugar (which accommodates molasses). A butterscotch dessert is richer and extra flavor-focused for that purpose!
Whereas butterscotch and caramel are sometimes used interchangeably, butterscotch might be greatest differentiated by the absence of milk or cream.
Toffee is mostly thought-about to be butterscotch that’s cooked for longer. It may create a sticky, wealthy candy sauce that pairs fantastically with many old style butterscotch desserts.
Why You’ll Love this Butterscotch Cake Recipe
- Easy substances
- Candy, however refined
- Tender and moist
- Fast and straightforward
5 STAR REVIEW
“This recipe was so decedent! Absolute hit!”
— NATASHA —
Components and Substitutions
- All-Goal Flour – No must sift. Don’t get me wrong- you may positively add this additional step, however I not often do.
- Baking Powder – Helps this cake rise to fluffy perfection.
- Salt – Just a little salt balances the sweetness of wealthy brown sugar.
- Butter – Salted or unsalted at room temperature.
- Darkish Brown Sugar – Darkish brown sugar to create that wealthy, moist taste of butterscotch!
- Vegetable Oil or Canola Oil – Canola oil has much less taste, however both will work.
- Vanilla – Vanilla extract for a touch of taste.
- Eggs – Eggs bind the substances, add to cake rise and moisture content material.
- Milk – Milk provides a creamy density to this butterscotch cake recipe! I used complete milk however you should use no matter you might have available.
- Add a layer of butterscotch chips on high of the frosting.
- Drizzle with a butterscotch sauce for much more decadence.
Butterscotch Frosting Components
This straightforward butterscotch frosting is decadent, creamy and completely balanced.
- Butterscotch Chips – They provide wealthy, buttery taste of this frosting. Use title model for greatest outcomes. They’re extra pure in colour, taste and consistency.
- Butter – This isn’t a full buttercream frosting, just a bit butter for added creamy taste!
- Powdered Sugar – This finely powdered confectioner’s sugar retains frosting silky easy and lump-free.
- Milk – I used full fats milk on this butterscotch frosting recipe. You are able to do much less or extra milk relying on the thickness you’d wish to see in your butterscotch frosting!
Find out how to Make
- Prep – Put together your sheet pan with baking spray to grease the underside and sides. Preheat oven to 350 levels Fahrenheit.
- Mix Dry Components – Put aside.
- Cream Butter, Oil and Sugar – Beat till mild and fluffy in texture and light-weight in colour. This course of takes about 3-4 minutes and is important to present this cake a fantastic rise and texture.
- Add Eggs, Milk and Vanilla – Combine till mixed.
- Mix – Steadily add dry substances to moist till easy, however simply mixed.
- Bake – Bake instances fluctuate primarily based on pan measurement, kind and altitude. Use the toothpick take a look at. When a toothpick inserted within the heart of the cake comes out clear, it’s finished.
- Cool – After eradicating cake from the oven, place on a wire cooling rack for as much as 5 minutes. Make your frosting and easy onto cake after it has cooled utterly.
- Frost – Mix frosting substances and unfold onto cake when it’s cool to the contact.
Baking Alternate options
- Half Baking Sheet – For a thinner sheet cake, bake in a big jelly roll fashion pan for about 20 minutes.
- 9×13 – For a thicker cake, bake roughly half-hour.
- For the fluffiest cake, don’t over combine your batter.
- Don’t Overfill Your Cake Pan – Fill 2/3 full to compensate for rise.
- Use the Toothpick Take a look at – Insert a toothpick within the heart. When it comes out clear, it’s finished.
- Sure, you may make this easy quaint cake in two spherical pans for a layer cake! I haven’t examined the timing, so watch rigorously whereas they’re within the oven, and don’t fill your layers greater than 2/3 full to stop overflow.
Scaling up, down or substituting? You’ll love this printable Measurement Conversion Chart!
Steadily Requested Questions
Delightfully mild and moist wealthy caramel toffee.
Darkish brown sugar creates a wealthy, moist butterscotch taste you simply can’t resist!
Whereas they’re each made by cooking sugar, caramel is made with white granulated sugar and butterscotch is made with darkish brown sugar. To make a sauce, butter and heavy cream are added.
Find out how to Retailer
- Room Temperature – Retailer in an hermetic container or coated for as much as three days.
- Fridge – Retailer this cake refrigerated for as much as one week.
- Freeze – Cake might be saved as much as six months in an hermetic container with out icing. Convey to room temperature to take pleasure in.
- To make this cake Gluten Free, use a 1:1 gluten free flour for baking.
- Nut Free
Hungry for simpler recipes? Join my free recipe club and have wonderful recipes delivered on to your inbox every week!
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Put together your sheet pan with baking spray to grease the underside and sides. Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a medium mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Put aside.
In a big mixing bowl or stand mixer, add butter, darkish brown sugar and canola oil. Beat till mild in colour and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
Add eggs and vanilla extract and blend till mixed.
Add milk and mix to mix.
Steadily add dry combination to moist till simply mixed and easy. Do not overmix.
Bake in your 1/2 sheet pan for a thinner sheet cake quarter-hour (as much as 20 minutes, use the toothpick take a look at to make sure it is finished). In a 9×13 baking dish, bake half-hour or till a toothpick inserted within the heart of the cake comes out clear.
Take away cake and place on a wire cooling rack to chill.
Soften butterscotch chips and butter collectively in a microwave protected bowl. Begin with one minute after which soften in 10 second increments, so you do not burn or overcook.
Add melted butterscotch and butter combination to a big mixing bowl or stand mixer.
Alternate including powdered sugar and milk till totally mixed.
Unfold onto cooled cake.
- Correctly Measure Flour – Spoon flour into measuring cup relatively than scoop it, which can lead to an excessive amount of flour and make the cake dry.
- Notice: This recipe requires 1 tablespoon PLUS 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder. (all of it goes in on the identical time however it’s tough to incorporate that within the measurements of this recipe card.)
- Don’t Overbake – Use the toothpick take a look at to stop over or underneath baking. When a toothpick inserted within the heart f the cake comes out clear, the cake is finished.
- Keep away from utilizing darkish colour pans. They have an inclination to dry the perimeters of the cake.
- Use top quality butterscotch chips for the most effective consequence.
- Room Temperature – Retailer in an hermetic container or coated for as much as 3 days.
- Freeze – Cake layers might be saved as much as 3 months in an hermetic container with out icing. Convey to room temperature to take pleasure in.
Energy: 282kcal (14%), Carbohydrates: 46g (15%), Protein: 3g (6%), Fats: 10g (15%), Saturated Fats: 5g (25%), Ldl cholesterol: 47mg (16%), Sodium: 158mg (7%), Potassium: 139mg (4%), Fiber: 1g (4%), Sugar: 35g (39%), Vitamin A: 279IU (6%), Calcium: 69mg (7%), Iron: 1mg (6%)
Estimated vitamin info is offered as a courtesy and isn’t assured.