There are some issues in ID for which there’s common settlement amongst our infection-obsessed clan. You won’t consider it primarily based on the squabbles over pandemic-related points within the press or social media, but it surely’s true!
Right here’s a fast 10 off the highest of my head, and naturally there are extra:
- Childhood immunizations are good.
- Treating the frequent chilly with antibiotics is dangerous.
- HIV remedy saves lives.
- Staph aureus bacteremia can have life-threatening problems.
- Cat bites are nasty, can transmit Pasteurella multocida.
- Folks begin dropping their protecting immunity in opposition to malaria after they transfer to a non-endemic area.
- Consuming oysters could also be hazardous to your well being (however we’d eat them anyway).
- Most individuals who say they’re allergic to penicillin actually aren’t.
- Drug interactions with rifampin are an enormous ache within the ___.
- Azithromycin is an efficient drug, however not for the issues it’s used for mostly.
Collect 100 educated ID docs in a room, and votes needs to be unanimous in settlement on these views.
I suppose there could possibly be a contrarian discovering their manner into the group, who one way or the other thinks that Staph bacteremia is not any huge deal, that rifampin performs effectively with different medicine, and that oysters are sterile, however that individual can be considered (appropriately) as very unusual (and really unsuitable). You received’t see debates at IDWeek, our huge nationwide assembly, by which folks take the opposing viewpoints on these 10 issues, until Bizarro World or Opposite George has an IDWeek.
Why do I carry these ID universalities up? As a result of the tip of the yr yielded three COVID-19–associated papers that stirred up fairly the debates from folks in our discipline.
What’s so putting is that lots of the folks taking the other views are good, educated, and well-respected in ID. All of them are well-meaning, hoping for the perfect path ahead for managing this still-new viral an infection to humankind. But, their opinions on these research couldn’t be extra diametrically opposed.
Within the subsequent three posts, to kick off the brand new yr, I’ll shortly summarize the papers, together with a number of the divergent views. And I’ll briefly offer you my take which, true to my persona (so I’ve been informed, even teased about), seeks some center floor — as a result of in all three there are legitimate arguments on each side. Hey, it’s price a strive, proper?
Take it away, George!
Blissful New Yr, everybody!
Leave a Reply